Sciatica Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention in Burbank, CA
Affecting up to 40% of people at some point in their lives, sciatica is a common issue that is treatable with personalized chiropractic care. As a chiropractor in Burbank, CA, Dr. Charlene Thorburn has helped men and women of all ages find relief from sciatic nerve pain and avoid back surgery.
Understanding Sciatica: Causes and Risk Factors
Sciatica happens when the sciatic nerve, beginning in the low back and travelling down through the buttock to the leg becomes pinched or inflamed. It can result from injury, a tight gluteal muscle or a bulging disc pressing against the nerve. Joint spaces abnormally narrowed due to degenerative disc disease or spinal stenosis can also cause sciatica and bony cysts or tumors in rarer cases.
Sciatica can develop slowly over time due to the cumulative effects of aging, repetitive movement, frequent heavy lifting and bending, or even a sedentary lifestyle which can put a lot of pressure on the spine. Alternatively, compression of a sciatic nerve can develop suddenly due to acute trauma like a car accident or a fall.
Sciatica is not uncommon during pregnancy and is usually due to a misaligned pelvis.
When the sciatic nerve becomes compressed or inflamed, it may lead to signs and symptoms such as:
- Pain that shoots down the buttocks, groin, lower leg, or even foot (the pain is often described as burning, radiating, searing, or throbbing)
- Numbness and tingling in the leg or foot
- Weakness in the foot (drop foot)
- Hip pain
Depending on what's causing their sciatica, a person may notice their symptoms get better or worse with certain movements or activities. These symptoms can range from mild to severe.
How Our Burbank Chiropractor Helps People With Sciatic Nerve Pain
Effective chiropractic care services for sciatica include:
- Spinal adjustments
- Therapeutic ultrasound and electrical stimulation
- Lifestyle counseling regarding posture, ergonomics, stress management, and nutrition
- Massage therapy
- Corrective exercises
- If you live near Burbank and believe you are struggling with sciatic nerve pain, we can help you. Dr. Thorburn will create a personalized chiropractic care plan to reduce pressure on the nerve and allow the nerve to heal.
Are Your Issues Caused by Sciatica?
If you live near Burbank and believe you are struggling with sciatic nerve pain, we can help you. Dr. Thorburn will create a personalized chiropractic care plan to reduce pressure on the nerve and allow the nerve to heal. Avoid surgery, discover lasting pain relief, and start sleeping, moving, and feeling better with the help of personalized and drug-free chiropractic care for sciatica. Contact Thorburn Chiropractic and Wellness Center at (818) 841-1313 to schedule an appointment today.